Like the Fleckenstein, the Hohenbourg had the task of marking the border with Lorraine and ensuring the safety of the imperial road from Kaiserslautern to Haguenau. A first castle was probably built at the end of the 12th century by a branch of the Fleckensteins who took the name of Hohenbourg, then Puller de Hohenbourg (first mentioned in 1263). In 1482, on the death of the last of the line, the castle passed to the Sickingen, a powerful palatine family. François de Sickingen then transformed the fortress and adapted it to artillery by building the barbican in 1520. Embellishment work was still undertaken around the years 1572-1575, of which there are still traces of the door frames enhanced with sculptures. in the Renaissance style. The castle will then serve as an occasional residence for the Sickingen family. The Hohenbourg was destroyed by the armies of Montclar in 1680 to carry out the orders of Louis XIV.

Access: from the Fleckenstein reception site, take the path marked with a red rectangle (GR 53) to the Schlossberg pass. From there, follow the path marked with a red-white-red rectangle which will lead you to the ruin of Loewenstein then to that of Hohenbourg. It takes 35 minutes to walk.


Type of clientele

  • Groups
  • Families
  • Couples
  • Adults (individuals)

Type of guided tour

  • Free tour



  • Animals accepted: Allowed
See more